Wayne County Transit Policies and Procedures
Explanation of Program: The Wayne County Transit (WCT) provides door-to-door transportation to partner employers. This program is funded by an Ohio Transportation Program Partnership grant to Stark Area Regional Transit Authority (SARTA). Community Action Wayne/Medina (CAW/M) manages this service. For questions about this service, call or text Kim Bagby, Transportation Assistance Representative, at 330-317-2768.
Services are available Monday - Saturday, 6 a.m. to midnight. CAW/M office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. New riders must contact CAW/M at least 48 hours before employment begins to enroll in the program. The riders will then call SARTA to book rides. Wheelchair transportation is available.
This service is like a vanpool so you will be sharing the vehicle. This service does not provide drop offs or pick-ups of children for childcare. Riders will only be picked up and dropped off at their residence and at work.
The fare is $5.00 one-way and is to be paid at time of enrollment. If you are also enrolled in the Wooster Transportation Pass Program as a city resident, the fare is $1.80 one-way. Credit and debit cards are accepted. Payment is to be made prior to ride service and can be made on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. You can also ask your employer about paying through payroll deductions. To load money onto your WCT account call CAW/M at 330-264-8677. Our office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also pay with cash by coming to Community Action Wayne/Medina during office hours.
WCT will provide the first 20 days of work trips for free if you are starting a new job. We will notify you when you are midway through this period. If payment is not arranged after the 20th day, you will be removed from the program.
Passengers will be issued a client id number by SARTA that is unique to them. The passenger should have this number available whenever calling to schedule a ride. This number should not be made available to anyone unauthorized to schedule rides on the passenger’s behalf. The passenger must ride on all trips that are scheduled using their client id number. Any misrepresentation or fraudulent use of a passenger’s client id number could result in loss of service eligibility.
Scheduling a Ride
- With a SARTA Reservationist - call SARTA at 330-639-2804 anytime between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:00 pm Monday – Friday. If a ride is needed for the next day the call must be received by 2:00pm
There are two ways to schedule a trip by appointment time or pick up time.
To schedule by appointment time, the passenger should tell the reservationist what time they would like to be at their destination/appointment or select the appointment time box online.
The passenger will be given a window that will get them to their destination at or before their appointment. This is most commonly used for going to a location.
- For example, if a passenger has an appointment at 1:00pm, they will receive a half hour window to get them there at or before 1:00pm. The passenger has to be at a location for at least 30 minutes so the earliest the passenger could be picked up from this appointment is 1:30pm.
- Monday-Friday the earlier appointment a passenger can get is at 6:30am and 7:00am on Saturday.
To schedule by pick-up time, the passenger should tell the reservationist what time they will be ready and would like picked up or selected the pick-up time box online. This is most commonly used for return trips.
- For example, if a passenger wants to be picked up at 12:00pm, they may receive a window of 12:00pm - 12:30pm. The passenger may be on the bus for up to 90 minutes and they are required to be at their location for 30 minutes, therefore the passenger cannot schedule their next pick-up window until 2:30pm.
- The earliest pickup time available is 5:15am-5:45am Monday-Saturday.
- The latest pickup time available Monday - Saturday is between 12:30am-1:00am, depending on the location.
Reservations should be made at least one (1) business day in advance of the day the trip is needed for better scheduling opportunities. To increase the opportunities of availability, a passenger should call up to four business days in advance (according to the table below) to schedule a ride. The earlier a passenger calls the more likely there will be availability.
Note: If availability allows, same day trips and changes to previously scheduled trips are accepted between 8:30am – 3:00pm Monday - Friday, a minimum of two (2) hours’ notice may be required. The Reservationist will make this determination based on availability.
Pick up time
SARTA schedules pick-up times in 30-minute windows. The passenger is expected to be ready and
waiting for their ride at the front door of their house or in the lobby of a complex, apartment building or office, or some other place with a clear view of where the SARTA bus will arrive at the beginning and throughout their 30- minute pick up window. From time to time. Operators may arrive prior to the start of the passengers’ pickup window. Passengers are not required to come out for their scheduled ride until the start of their pick-up window, but may do so if they so choose.
Canceling a Ride
Rides must be canceled at least 60 minutes or 1 hour prior to the start of the pick-up window. If six
(6) rides are cancelled within a 30-day period, the rider can be suspended from the program
for 30 days.
Cancel your ride with SARTA Reservationist/Dispatch - call SARTA’s Priority Care Line at 330-455 2292 (option 1) anytime between the hours of 5:00 am and 1:30 am to cancel a scheduled ride. If a reservationist is not available, a passenger may hold or enter their number and the call will be returned in the order it was received.
- Ride Cancelation Definitions
- Advance Cancel definition - SARTA prefers that a trip be canceled with as much advance notice as possible. Any trip canceled before the day of the scheduled ride is considered an ‘Advance Cancel’.
- No-Show definition - A no-show is any trip scheduled but not taken due to passenger error or circumstance. All subsequent trips for that day will be automatically canceled.
- A ride will be marked as No Showed if the passenger does not utilize the scheduled ride when the Operator arrives within the Arrival Window Time. If the Operator arrives after the Arrival Window Time and the passenger does not utilized the ride it will not be marked as No Showed. However, if the passenger does not properly notify SARTA of his/her intent to utilize any scheduled rides for the remainder of that day all subsequent rides will be cancelled.
- Late Cancel definition - Trips not canceled at least 60 minutes or 1 hour prior to the start of the pick-up window.
- Cancel at the Door definition - Trips canceled after the bus has arrived at the pickup point within the 30 minute pick-up window.
Passenger responsibility after canceling a ride
After a no-show, late cancel, cancel-at-the-door or a ride not taken because the operator arrives
after the pick-up window, it will be the passenger’s responsibility to call Proline and reschedule any
subsequent trips for that day.
Checking a Ride
With a SARTA Reservationist - call SARTA’s Priority Care Line at 330-455-2292 (option 1) anytime between the hours of 5:00 am and 1:30 am to check on the status of a scheduled ride.
Pick Up Information
- The passenger should meet the Operator at the closet accessible area to the SARTA vehicle. The area where being picked up must be cleared of ice, snow and/or debris and properly maintained to allow a safe area for the Operator to assist. If the area is deemed unsafe, assistance for the passenger will not be given and transportation will be denied for that trip.
- Passengers requiring a ramp or lift shall board first after on-board passengers have exited. Walk-in passengers will then be allowed to board. Passengers needing the ramp/lift should exit last after on-board passengers have exited.
- Operators are will wait five (5) minutes for a passenger after arriving within or after the 30-minute pick-up window.
Riders are expected to act in a courteous manner towards fellow riders. No form of verbal, physical or sexual harassment, racial slurs or abuse of any form will be tolerated. Riders will speak and behave in a reasonable and courteous manner, cooperate with other riders, and demonstrate good personal hygiene as courtesy to other riders (including use of cologne/perfume in reasonable amounts, offensive odors, etc.). Riders are not permitted to smoke, vape or drink alcohol in or within 25 feet of the vehicle. Riders are asked to report any issues of personal conflict with other riders to CAW/M and attempt to resolve them in a productive manner.
No Show Policy
If a rider No Shows three (3) times within a 30-day period, the rider can be suspended from the program for 30 days.
Emergency rides home
This program does not provide emergency rides home. You will need to arrange and pay for your own transportation. Transportation can be arranged with Wooster Express at 330-202-9000, Hallstar Taxi at 330-262-0123 or with Lyft through their online app.
Days Not in Service
Sundays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, and July 4th.
Withdrawing from the Program
If you chose to withdraw from the program, you will need to notify Community Action Wayne/Medina at 330-317-2206 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any unused rides that have been paid for, will be reimbursed within 30 days of leaving the program.
SARTA and CAW/M prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin in its programs and activities, as mandated by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you feel you have been discriminated against based on one of these characteristics, you have the right to file a complaint. For more information on your rights or to file a concern, you can Call SARTA Customer Service at 330-477-2782 (opt #2) to verbally start the complaint process.